SEATTLE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL REDESIGN

Challenge:

  • Combine regional sites into one

  • Promote safety, wellness programs

  • Make it easy for providers to create and post content

Solution:

  • Create few but flexible templates

  • Cross-promote content via taxonomy.

  • Streamline content uploading and promotion. 

Outcome:

  • Patient ratings improved

  • Class signups increased

  • Video viewing increased almost 50%

  • Providers posted more content

Site architecture segment of the Seattle Children's Hospital Redesign

Understand content ecosystem and user priorities

 

I was the UX Lead working with Odopod. We did user research and content analysis to determine the best ways to serve patient families & serve providers, staff, and web team. We optimized common user paths and created semi-flexible templates for all main content. This image is of one of >10 sections of the new website. 

sch-parti (1).jpg
sch5 (1).jpg

How we worked with SCH was as important as the solutions we designed

We needed to get input and buy-in from many different stakeholders at SCH. So we started with low-fidelity "Parti" diagrams (first image) to solidify the general content and prioritization within pages before doing higher fidelity wireframes (second image).  

This enabled us to evaluate more approaches early on and saved us time when we got into the details of the templates. 

"Overall, Odopod has created a beautiful, functional, and flexible website. This is due in part to their balanced mix of process, creativity, and willingness to dive deep to understand what drives Seattle Children's"​​

Stephen Halsey

Manager, Web Services, Seattle Children's Hospital

Improvements and results

 

1) The templates we created gave a common structure and brand experience to the site while allowing for enough variation to serve the specific needs of different departments. 

2) SCH wanted providers to create more content, which patients tended to value highly. Providers were very busy with their primary roles, obviously. So the goal was not to get providers who didn't want to produce content to suddenly write a blog, The goal was to make it much easier for those who were inclined to create content to do so. And then to better promote that content. We streamlined the internal formatting and uploading process for articles and videos. We created more prominent places on the site for that content to be promoted, which did help incentivize those who wanted to produce content. 

3) We dug deeper to understand the needs of patient families who primarily spoke languages other than English. SCH was considering translating their entire website in several key languages. We wanted to see if there was a better, less costly, solution. 

What we found was that there were key tools and content pages patient families needed or wanted to interact with. But for general info they would ask a family member more proficient in English (teen child, aunt, cousin, even a friend or neighbor) to look it up. 

The biggest need was being able to filter doctors by languages spoken. Prior to the redesign the languages a provider spoke would be listed on their bio page. But you'd have to click through individual bio pages to find out what those were. We added a languages spoken filter to the main "Find a doctor" page. That way the patient families could shortcut just to providers with whom they may be more comfortable. (SCH provides translators but many patient families preferred to find a provider who spoke their native language, if possible.)